Mental Health/Wellness is a topic very close to my heart. I've seen people taken down by the unwillingness to accept help or access resources, and it comes from a culture of pretending and suppression. We need to be open and honest about mental health and give people the chance to recover and live a healthy, productive life.
I believe that my life is where it is today because I had access to mental health professionals; they helped guide me and gave me perspective on situations that I could never have seen on my own. For that reason, I've signed up to do the 10K, which is something I've never done before(!) because if I learned anything from my journey, it's that you have to be open to new experience in order to create personal growth.
The breakdown of where the fundraising goes is the following:
- 100% of fundraising proceeds go to CMHA allowing hundreds of women to improve themselves both physically and mentally.
- $25 provides 5 senior women with “belonging” supplies for and welcome kit to services.
- $50 buys one senior woman struggling with dementia with an electronic medication dispenser to ensure proper dosage of medications.
- $150 covers cost for one woman to attend a skills group to build mental health resiliency.
- $500 covers the cost of 5 therapy sessions for women dealing with the trauma of sexual or domestic violence.